Thank you, Dolores O’Riordan, for your days as a kickass musician, Irishwoman, and feminist icon. You will be missed. Godspeed. ❤
Alas, it’s winter again!
(At least there’s good music.)
- “The Sound of Silence”, Simon & Garfunkel
2. Wild is the Wind, Nina Simone
3. “Black Beauty (A Response to Lana Del Rey from Willis Earl Beal)”, Willis Earl Beal
4. “I’m So Tired”, Fugazi
5. “Breaking It Up”, Lykke Li
Happy winter, if you’re one of the crazy ones.
since I’ve seen you smile
(Beirut, The Flying Cup Club)
favorites · 2015 edition
1) MOVIE:: The Secret of Roan Inish, a 1994 movie about Fiona, a girl who lives in County Donegal with her grandparents, and is searching for her brother, who was washed away to Roan Inish. (Interestingly, the movie was filmed by an American director; however its veracity was far less suspect than that of John Wayne’s A Quiet Man, which isn’t worth linking to here.)
4) SONG:: “Beautiful Day”, U2.
5) GIRL’S NAME:: Maeve, after the warrior queen. The name means “Enchantress”.
6) GIRL SAINT:: St. Dymphna!
7) BOY’S NAME:: Malachy, meaning Messenger.
8) BOY SAINT:: St. Brendan, who sailed to Brazil in the Middle Ages, (or so the legend goes).
9) POP ICON::Bono, for his social work.
10) POET:: Yeats!
12) IRISH HISTORICAL FIGURE:: Éamon de Valera (though American by birth) for his political and Irish independence activism.
13) IRISH-AMERICAN:: Caroline Kennedy
14) THE CUTEST LIFEBLOOD OF IRELAND:: Sheep!
15) MY MOST IRISH HABIT:: Crocheting (but I cannot do lace–yet!)
I wish you all a happy evening!